As a team of creatives that thrive in the ever-dramatic and inspiring landscape that is Cornwall, spending our free time in or by the ocean, we have always sought to lessen our impact on the environment and help to protect our oceans, waves, beaches and wildlife.
With Surfers Against Sewage on our doorstep we participate in regular #minibeachcleans and are involved in the plastic free communities project, but as a company we want to do as much as we can.
The film business is known to be one of the least eco-friendly industries in the world, but we are taking many steps to reduce all of our production’s environmental impact, regardless of size or budget, making them as eco-friendly as possible.
Here’s our top tips for greener film productions in and out of the studio:
- Tell everyone involved that it’s a green production. By announcing a production is going “green,” and letting everyone know the steps we have put in place we encourage the crew to get behind it.
- Ask everyone to bring their own reusable water bottles and flasks. We encourage all our crew to do this and when we have to provide disposable cups, we make sure they are made from recyclable materials.
- Buy local produce. Living in Cornwall we have an abundance of local produce to fuel our crew. As well as tasting great this reduces our carbon footprint. When your food doesn’t travel long distances, you’re promoting better air quality and reducing pollution.
- Choose house-shares and B&Bs over hotels. When booking accommodation consider your options. By getting more people into one space, you use less heating/electricity/gas.
- Encourage a Greener Commute. All of our staff cycle or walk to work and we only travel by car when absolutely necessary. When we do have to drive, we always travel together and lift-share, taking the minimum number of vehicles.
IN THE STUDIO
- Designate a Recycling Bin. We dispose of all our rubbish and recycling responsibly, recycling as many materials as possible to minimise our contribution to landfill waste.
- Organise conference calls instead of travelling to meetings. This not only reduce’s our carbon footprint, but it also saves time and is an effective way of getting people together.
- Use Energy saving light bulbs and rechargeable batteries. These are a staple in our office.
- Switch off computers and lights when not using them.
- Keeping printing to an absolute minimum. When we do have to print we make sure it is recycled paper.
We’re always looking for more ways to make our productions greener, so if you have any suggestions please feel free to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
<a class=”backtoworkbutton” href=”/news”>Back To News</a>